Friday, May 7, 2010

Blossoms!

I'm sitting at my desk at work,
Procrastinating just a little...
Not behind, not ahead,
Just about done,
Ready to call it a day.
Cut adrift,
Settling into a deep vale
of calm content -
of peace and haze
with no checklists to fill
and no tasks to complete...

And i get a jolt
and electric shock of massive voltage.
I receive a message which call up memories!
Of a bookstore I left back where
and back when!
I throw my head back,
my eyelids drift shut,
my nostrils flare with remembered scent,
and I am there!

Within my memory,
It's late and the day's far done.
Home and hearth calls
Traffic battles won
But a diversion beckons!
I park my bike
And hurry my feet.
A litany runs through my head:
Oh! let it be open!
Oh! let it be open!

And miracles do happen!
It is!
The sweet owner is bent
Looking to close the accounts for the day
And I peep in...
May I come in?
May I enter this treasure trove?
May I submerge myself?
Just for a few minutes...
And browse and bury my nose...
And catch a glimpse of far off places
And imaginary heroes
And palatial houses and cozy cottages...

May I smell the most beautiful smell of all?
The smell of brown pages,
turned by awed readers
The smell of leather wrappings
Dipped in mystic wonders
Holding memoires and fairytales
Hugging fantasies and maladies
Shouting for an eye to caress
Or a finger to fondle
Waiting for the reader
Who will cherish and drown
Within stories galore!

There are massive stacks of books
and books and books and books!
and more books!
And so many tales to tell!
So many dreams to share!
I put my toe in the store,
and I drown!
I cannot wait to pick new friends
There are so many!
How do I choose?
I soon have a stack
Waiting to own me
and bemoan my tardiness.
The store owner beckons...
Do I not want more?
He's willing to stay open
If I want to steal more of his friends...
Such generosity of spirit!
Of course, I will fatten his pocketbook
And buy him many dinners
With tonight's purchase.
Ah, I could not have it in me...
Not to grudge this sale to him...
So, I buy and I buy
And I go home happy!
My bookshelves swelled to happy content
And desirous of reading all within the next moment!

I miss them - the smells, the ceilings shadowing the books,
The enormous joy of being surrounded by books...
I miss Blossoms... the bookstore :(

1 comment:

  1. great..
    u know what.. Im practicing reading.. Actually I hate reading.. max pages i have ever read just 2.... still I wonder that how people read big big books... :) ..
    ur poem inspiring me to read more..

    ReplyDelete